Cypsis' second blog is for all but reviews.
REMEMBER TO CHECK OUT REVIEWS TOO!


Cypsis Blog has an official Facebook page too! Click here and hit the like button to receive review announcements, everydayish talk and more on Facebook!

10.28.2013

Piggyback me!

When I wrote about what works in dramas, I mentioned that I've never been piggybacked home when I'm drunk. That made me realize that in fact there are 3 types of piggybacking in Asian dramas! And now that I think about it I have been piggybacked (during the time I remember) - one time we went to the beach and something sharp in the sea cut into my foot. As the cut was pretty deep, my father gave me a piggyback back to the shore. My father is the best.

1) the most usual one -"too drunk to walk on my own feet" (or "Please don't puke!!!")
As I said this is what I have yet to achieve. This kind of piggybacking has the purpose of adding comedy while developing the feelings&communication between the characters. Even though mostly the "more drunk one" barely remembers anything, the skinship part of piggybacking is also very important in this types of piggybacks.
Buzzer Beat
Heartstrings
Playful Kiss
Marriage Plot - the reverse piggyback
('cause not every man can handle 6 bottles of soju)
2) second to most usual one - "I hurt my foot" (or "to the hospital, my horse!")
This type usually carries more emotional meaning. As one character (as it's usually girl, I'm going to write on like that) is hurt (or sick), then the guy has to carry her as there. Yes you can say there is an obligation, but usually it is taken on by the guy himself. Why? because 1)he's to blame why the girl is hurt 2) he feels he's the rightest person to do it. As you see it is piggybacking that results from the emotional attachements the guy has for the girl.
Deka wanko
Hanazakari no kimitachi e
Operation Proposal
Ranma ½  - who says a girls can't piggyback other girl
wait? I shouldn't say "girl" about Ranma, should I?
3) the least usual one
This happens in scenes dealing with family relationships. While there no actual need for piggybacking they still do it as "it is normal thing to do". I find them the most beautiful as they are relaxing and emotional.
 
Code Blue 2 - this is actually one of favourite moments from CB
Zenkai Girl
It was supposed to become a picspam, but as I see I've failed. If you want to read more about piggybacks (in the context of Korean dramas), then girlfriday made a great post about it (even though it's some years old, the content still holds true).

No comments:

Post a Comment